Breaking the Silence: A Closer Look at Child Abuse and a Discussion of What We Must Do to Protect our Children
(A Community Education Program Sponsored by the Children’s Advocacy Center of Laredo-Webb County)
- To review state laws that pertain to child abuse & neglect, focusing on the language that addresses the reporting of abuse & neglect, the penalties surrounding failure to report and immunity from prosecution when reporting.
- To collaborate with local education agencies, facilitating compliance with state laws that pertain to education of school staff and other stakeholders on issues pertaining to child sexual abuse.
- To spotlight the benefits offered to child victims of abuse by the Children’s Advocacy Center of Laredo-Webb County and its Multidisciplinary Partner Agencies.
- To afford the audience ample opportunity to discuss concerns, questions and other relevant topics related to the abuse of children.
- District Attorney’s Office: Asst. District Attorneys Anali Vargas, Adam Muffet, Gerard Cantu-Special Victims Unit.
- Child Protective Services: Jose Gonzalez, Cecilia Arizola, Jerry Castillo.
- Laredo Police Department: Sgt. Cordelia Perez; Investigator Alonzo Olivarez-Special Victims Unit.
- Children’s Advocacy Center of Laredo-Webb County: Sylvia Bruni, Executive Director.
- History of the Children’s Advocacy Center of Laredo-Webb County, before and after its creation: Sylvia Bruni.
- A Closer Look at Re-Victimization and the MDT Team that Protects Our Children from It: Laredo Police Department-Alonzo Olivarez, Cordelia Perez.
- A Review of the Laws that Protect Children from Abuse-When, How and to Whom One Should Submit Reports: Child Protective Services-Sergio Martinez, Jose Gonzalez, Cecilia Arizola, Jerry Castillo.
- Assuring Justice for the Child Victim: D.A. Office-Anali Vargas, Adam Muffet, Gerard Cantu.
- A Final View of the Children that We Protect: Video Collection of Evidentiary Photographs of Local Child Victims.
- Empowering Children to Protect Themselves from Harm: radKIDS Laredo.
1. Family Code-Title 5 Chapter 261 Investigation of Report of Child Abuse & Neglect: Fam. 261.101 Persons Required to Report; Time to Report; Fam. 261.106 Immunities: Fam. 261.109 Failure to Report; Penalty.
2. SB 471-Relating to School District Policies Addressing the Sexual Abuse of Children.
3. Interagency Agreement between the Children’s Advocacy Center of Laredo-Webb County and Local School Districts.
4. CAC Laredo-Webb County Multidisciplinary Team Working Protocols.